Title: Programme Manager (Research & Policy)
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Type of contract: Fixed Term (2 years), renewable.
Application deadline: October 21, 2016 (1700 hrs Kenyan Time)
Overview of the Research Programme (RP) and functions of the post
PASGR’s Research Programme works with African social scientists to produce high quality governance and policy relevant research. The programme does this through periodic selection of research themes that have broad relevance to African development. The programme provides research grants and technical support to researchers to examine development challenges and policies through a governance lens. To inform and influence policies, the programme facilitates a variety of research-policy communities (Utafiti Sera) in the countries where the studies are conducted.
Working with the Director of Research and PASGR’s Executive Director, the Research Programme Manager is required to provide technical and managerial support to ensure that planned activities of the Research Programme are effectively and efficiently implemented.
Key Responsibilities of the Programme Manager
- Manage the implementation of the Research Programme. This will involve preparing inception and review meeting reports, work plans and progress reports for research activities including undertaking background work, draft concept notes and research discussion papers, programme budgets, strategy papers and presentation material.
- Day-to-day management of various research projects with minimal supervisory input. Tasks include project design, planning, budgeting, implementing, monitoring, reporting, and evaluation.
- Manage all consultative activities in connection with the Research Programme. This will involve coordinating national level consultation activities as well as outreach to specific regional and international organisations.
- The Programme Manager (Research and Policy) is a primary contact between stakeholders including Principal Investigators, Researchers, External Reviewers of Research, Publishers and Consultants.
- Provide up to date correspondences with stakeholders on the research project cycle and enquiries.
- Manage research grants, including selection of researchers, principal investigators and peer reviewers as well as reporting on performance of individual grantees.
- Assist with writing grant proposals.
- Assist in the development of new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Ensure that programme activities comply with PASGR policies and professional standards.
- Work closely with editors and PASGR’s Communication Officer to process PASGR’s Working Paper Series and policy briefs.
The following qualities are required:
Skills, Knowledge and Work Experience
- 5-years’ experience coordinating collaborative, multinational projects in Research
- At least 3-years’ post-PhD experience
- Sound knowledge and experience in managing programmes across Africa with understanding of the different African cultures especially the host countries.
- Interacted with researchers and policy actors at different levels
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Strong report-writing and presentation skills
- Experience of managing research projects.
- Demonstrated research experience that has led to academic or policy relevant publications
- Experience in managing research-based policy advocacy projects
- Experience with grant writing and application
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to work under pressure
- PhD in Social Science, Development Studies, or other related fields.
- Added advantage if the candidate has a background in governance and public policy
- Working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
This position attracts a competitive package that includes basic salary, medical, group life and group personal accident insurance and provident fund up to pre-set limits.
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to PASGR (email@example.com) by Friday, October 21, 2016 at 1700hrs. All applications must contain a detailed Curriculum Vitae and the contacts (telephone and email address) of three references. As this is a re-advertisement, previous applicants need not apply again.