Title: Programme Assistant
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Type of contract: Fixed Term (1 year), renewable
Application deadline: February 23, 2018 (1700 hrs Kenyan Time)
OVERVIEW OF THE RESEARCH PROGRAMME AND FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
PASGR’s Research Programme works with African social scientists to produce high quality governance and policy relevant research through periodic selection of research themes that have broad relevance to African development. The programme provides grants and technical support to researchers to examine development challenges and policies through a governance lens. To inform and influence policies, the programme facilitates a variety of research-policy communities (Utafiti Sera) in the countries where the studies are conducted. Working with the Programme Manager, the Programme Assistant is required to provide programmatic support to the Research Programme to ensure efficiency of operations and effective delivery of the programme’s activities.
Key responsibilities of the Programme Assistant include to:
- Provide support in the preparation of grants agreements/MoUs, proposals, programme reports and service contracts.
- Coordinate logistics for the Research Programme workshops/meetings.
- Organizing travel for PASGR Research Programme staff for meetings within and outside Kenya.
- Provide support in the preparation and tracking of research budgets and programmes of work.
- Support and carry out monitoring and evaluation activities for the research programme. Collect and collate data for the department’s monitoring and evaluation, and ensure key documents are uploaded on a shared research folder
- Respond to general enquiries about PASGR research programmes and activities, as well as requests from research communities.
- Assist in the overall development and implementation of new and ongoing projects.
- Screen proposals submitted on new projects for basic completeness and handle related follow-ups, provide support on minute taking for internal programmatic meetings and arrange appointments for meetings of senior staff with senior government officials, donor representatives and members of PASGR network.
The following qualities are required for this position:
Skills, Knowledge and Work Experience
- Bachelor degree with minimum of 1 year’s experience in programme support;
- Prior work experience in a non-profit organization;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Attention to detail and efficient tracking of all active projects;
- Ability to do multiple tasks;
- Ability to think ahead, take personal initiative, work both independently and as a team member, collaborate and coordinate with others;
- Excellent analytical, communication and writing skills;
- Proficiency and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook and also internet research.
- Knowledge and experience in conducting literature reviews and report writing
- Some background in finance and M&E will be an added advantage.
This position attracts a competitive package that includes basic salary, medical, group life and group personal accident insurance and provident fund up to pre-set limits.
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to PASGR (firstname.lastname@example.org ) by Friday, February 23, 2018 at 1700hrs. All applications must contain a detailed Curriculum Vitae and the contacts (telephone and email address) of three references. The subject line should read “Recruitment of PA Research.”