The Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR) is an independent, non-partisan pan-African not-for-profit organisation established in 2011 and located in Nairobi, Kenya. PASGR’s vision is a ‘vibrant African social science community addressing the continent’s public policy issues’. PASGR seeks excellence in social science research for public policy.
In partnership with individual academics and researchers, higher education institutions, research think tanks, civil society organisations, business and policy communities both in the region and internationally, PASGR supports the production and dissemination of policy relevant research; designs and delivers suites of short professional development courses for researchers and policy actors; and facilitates the development of collaborative higher education programmes.
PASGR is searching for a Head of Finance & Administration whose key task will be to provide strategic oversight and operational leadership for all PASGR’s financial and operational planning, budget management, financial reporting, grants administration and procurement. He or she will also ensure compliance at all levels of the organization in accordance with organizational/donor policies and procedures.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Accounting – Oversee the day to day management of accounting procedures. Provide strategic leadership in management of PASGR finances including the design of financial and administrative policies and systems that ensure strong internal control.
- Reporting – Responsible for reviewing and approving both internal financial reports and external reports to funders. Also provides key reports for the FAC and or management to facilitate decision making. Provide information and advice to the Board Finance Committee, Treasurer and Executive Director and senior management team to ensure the financial and physical resources of the organization are managed optimally and sustainably.
- Budget management – Coordinating and lead the annual budgeting process for PASGR. Review of variance reports and preparation of forecasts.
- Audit – Overall responsibility for both external and internal audits, and implementation of audit recommendations.
- Administration and procurement – Coordinating of various activities relating to office administration with the finance team. Oversee the processing and administration of payroll and medical costs; Oversee the various stages of procurement and manage all office administration activities that are not programme related.
- People management – Providing leadership and management of day to day activities of team members within the finance and administration unit.
- Compliance – Ensuring statutory compliance including filing of returns in both Kenya and USA, compliance with funding guidelines and board approved finance and administration policies.
- Risk management – Manage the risk management framework of PASGR
- IT – Oversee the IT function with the ED’s office
- Any other responsibilities assigned by the Executive Director.
The following qualities are required for this position:
Skills, knowledge and work experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Business Administration, with an option in accounting, Finance or a related field;
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with at least 3 years of prior work experience in a related organization; or research network; and
- Excellent analytical, financial, communication and writing skills.
- Excellent skills and experience with Microsoft word, Excel and outlook and internet research.
A Master’s degree in Finance or an MBA in a related field will be an added advantage.
This position attracts a competitive package that includes basic salary, medical, group life and group personal accident insurance and provident fund up to pre-set limits.
Applications must be submitted electronically via email to PASGR (firstname.lastname@example.org ) by Monday, December 31 at 1700hrs. All applications must contain a detailed Curriculum Vitae and the contacts (telephone and email address) of three references. The subject line should read “Head, Finance & Administration.” Note that the position is for Kenyan nationals only.