1. Post information
This position is ideal for an energetic, enthusiastic, and self-driven communications professional with a keen interest in public policy, higher education and/or research. The purpose of the position is to support PASGR’s communications and policy outreach function in line with the 2014-2018 Strategic Plan, while expanding the candidate’s work and professional experience.
Post title: Communications Associate
Reports to: Communications Officer
Organisational unit: Communications and Policy Outreach
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: Six to twelve months, renewable
2. Organisational context
PASGR is an independent, non-partisan pan-African not-for-profit organisation established in 2011 and located in Nairobi, Kenya. PASGR is working in more than 12 African countries to enhance research excellence in governance and public policy that contributes to the overall wellbeing of the citizens. Our vision is ‘a vibrant African social science community addressing the continent’s public policy issues’.
In partnership with individual academics and researchers, higher education institutions, research think tanks, civil society organisations, business and policy communities both in the region and internationally, PASGR supports the production and dissemination of policy relevant research; designs and delivers short professional development courses for researchers and policy actors; and facilitates the development of collaborative higher education programmes.
PASGR’s three core programmes (Research, Higher Education, and Professional Development & Training) bring together the right mix of universities, research institutions, government, policy actors, researchers and academics to:
- Establish and sustain partnerships at national/regional and international levels for advancing research, higher education and training;
- Facilitate the creation of policy and research communities;
- Enhance the institutionalisation of a research culture in Africa’s universities and research organisations; and,
- Coordinate a collaborative Master of Research and Public Policy with universities in Africa.
3. Duties and responsibilities
With the guidance of the Communications Officer, the Associate will be expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Review the PASGR and Master of Research and Public Policy (MRPP) websites to ensure that posts and activities are up to date
- Manage/update PASGR’s social media presence e.g. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, blog, Flickr etc.
- Respond to email inquiries in consultation with the relevant programme
- Communicate to stakeholders as necessary
- Write and/or edit stories for website and other publications
- Manage the production of the annual report
- Prepare and send a quarterly e-newsletter to mailing list subscribers
- Support the planning and implementation of organisational events and activities as required.
4. Skills and Competencies
- Initiative, creativity, enthusiasm, maturity, tact and high sense of responsibility
- Strong communication and written skills in English
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Digital photography, desktop publishing and social media experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work alone and as part of a team, in a multi-cultural context
- Ability to learn new tools, tasks and skills quickly
- Attention to detail
- Professionalism and adherence to deadlines
5. Recruitment qualifications
Education: Final year masters student, fresh masters graduate or doctoral candidate in communications, journalism or any other relevant field
Experience: At least 3 years’ experience in a communications role
Languages: High proficiency in written and spoken English
Other skills: Knowledge of and proven experience in editing and proof-reading, social media management/content marketing, blogging and website management. Video/audio recording and editing, graphic design, and still digital photograph editing skills desirable.
Availability: Three to four days a week
Remuneration: PASGR provides a competitive monthly stipend for Associates
6. How to apply
Applications should be sent to email@example.com by 3rd January 2017. The email must include: an updated CV (not more than 4 pages); a recommendation from a faculty member or former supervisor who knows the applicant well; a university transcript; and a cover letter (1 page only).
Note: Only electronic submissions will be considered. Applicants must be available to begin the associateship in mid-January 2017.